Monday, September 7, 2009

White Dresses & Jane Austen

Elizabeth & Jane go for a walk in floral prints


I love the striped cotton dresses! I love Jane's sleeves too.


Elizabeth picks flowers in flowers. The pleating/gathering here at the bust is lovely too.


Elizabeth talks to Mr Darcy in her fabulous puff-sleeved green jacket.


Looking sad wearing subtle checked beige cotton

Polka dots!


The green trim and buttons make a boring dress cute.


Jane and Elizabeth talk to their Father. I love the pattern/trim of the hemlines on their dresses

Daniela Gregis in Selvedge Magazine


This dress by a designer named Daniela Gregis and a recent resurgence in love for all things Jane Austen have inspired a new project. Daniela Gregis' dress appears to be a light white muslin of several layers with the gathering at the neckline. My version will have pleats instead of gathers and be more fitted at the top. So far I've managed the pleats at the front and back of my test version (made from an Ikea bedsheet). Now I need to figure out where to place the darts and how I'm going to do the sleeves and finishing. I like the simplicity of Gregis' dress but I don't think it would look right on me. I'm also considering a neckline more akin to Elizabeth Bennet's dresses than Gregis', something lower and more rounded but less revealing.

I recently re-watched the 1995 BBC version of Pride & Prejudice (from which the images are taken) and it was wonderful, so much better than Hollywood's recent effort. I spent a lot of time gazing at the costumes, especially the dresses and short jackets. I was also drawn by the short lace shawls they wear over their dresses when going out. I rather fancy making a little white lace shawl to wear too. I also love the boots they wear in the film with their little buttons and small heels. I'd love to wear all the costumes actually, just as they are, but I'm afraid I'd look rather silly. Sigh...


The orange linen jacket. Note the little buttons & trim


The green velvet jacket

All images of the film are taken from:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, I absolutely love them so much I even got my wedding dress made inspired by the recency period! Make them and wear them with PRIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you posted about this! I have been throwing around the idea of making a similar dress. Normally I wouldn't look good in one, but I have the perfect excuse for an empire waist--being pregnant! Thanks for posting all these pictures, I am very inspired and can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the pregnancy Christy, you should def make one of these dresses, can be stylish and comfy at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete