Monday, May 23, 2011


Sometimes things I make don't work out. Either they don't turn out how I imagine them to be or they just don't suit me when I finish them. The summer camisole is one of the latter. It turned out rather like the picture and fits me okay. But it just doesn't suit me. I hardly ever wear camisole tops anyway, so I don't know what I was thinking with this one. Actually I know exactly what I was thinking: it looks great in the picture on the model, therefore it will also look great on me. Well, turns out it doesn't. In addition, the acrylic stretched out something horrid and the side seams are far from straight. This would annoy me immensely if I were wearing it.

So I decided to cut my losses and remove the crochet trim and undo the top back to the armholes to make a square cushion cover. Can't go wrong with cushion covers. But I took some photos before I undid it so you can see how it turned out. The camisole would have been nicer in bamboo or linen, but I'm glad I didn't waste $50 on buying that only to turn it into a cushion cover!

The pattern has a very nice trim, but a little too frilly for me.

The scalloped hem is also nice, but once again, not for me.

I widened the shoulder straps and it worked out well. The thinner straps in the pattern probably wouldn't have held up with the heavier acrylic anyway.

The finished camisole. Here you can see how horridly the acrylic stretched out and how far the side seams are off!

So I'm now working on my cushion cover. I think I'll make it a button top one and maybe with a flap closure... Failure is just a new opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. Its a very nice piece. Cant believe you had the patience to undo everything into a pillow cover. What a shame...Nonetheless you never fail to inspire me!! -Tri