Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rooms with a View

I was browsing the MET's website and came across this exhibition of paintings and drawings of 19th century rooms. Many of the rooms in the exhibition feature open windows and the light captured in the paintings is extraordinary. Here are some of my favourites all taken from the MET's website as the url linking of images is not working for me today:


Martinus Rørbye (Danish, 1803–1848)
View from the Artist's Window, 1825
Statens Museum for Kunst, Copenhagen

This is the window I want in my room: pet bird, tasseled curtain and flowers.

Georg Friedrich Kersting (German, 1785–1847)
Woman Embroidering, 1811
Klassik Stiftung Weimar, Goethe Nationalmuseum

Both this image and the next are basically my life too. Making things by open windows or lamplight. 200 years and nothing changes.

Georg Friedrich Kersting (German, 1785–1847)
Young Woman Sewing by Lamplight, 1823
Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlung, Neue Pinakothek, Munich


Caspar David Friedrich (German, 1774–1840)
Woman at the Window, 1822
Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Alte Nationalgalerie

This is me too - watching the traffic out the window. In her case it looks like the boats in the canal. In my case its the traffic jams and fire trucks/ambulances/police cars roaring up and down the street (I live near a hospital, a police station and a fire station, its not that my street is particularly unfortunate!)


Carl Gustav Carus (German, 1789–1869)
Studio in Moonlight, 1826
Staatliche Kunsthalle Karlsruhe

A painting of moonlight. What's not to love? Carus captures the strange thick/thinness of moonlight where light slides in like honey but cuts sharply everything it touches.


No comments:

Post a Comment